When you need new signs where do you start?
The process of buying a custom sign is completely new and unfamiliar to most people.
You probably have an idea about the new signs or letters that are needed, but how do you actually turn that idea into reality?
What is the very first step?
Access our exclusive, step-by-step buyer's guide.Hide Content > Click Here to Close Tab
What type of Outdoor Sign are you LEGALLY allowed to have?
And what are the SIZE restrictions?
Violating local sign codes can result in fines up to $500 per day. Outdoor signs must follow your local County & City Sign Ordinances.
The information directly below outlines the sign permitting process required for new, outdoor sign installations.
The legal requirements of outdoor signage.
- Local sign ordinances have become increasingly restrictive on the size and type of outdoor signs allowed.
- The Building, Zoning or Planning Department in your municipality, can provide you with a copy of the sign ordinances.
- If you ask for the person in the department who is most familiar with the sign ordinances, they should be able to help you determine the total SIZE allowed.
- In your area, window lettering on the outside of storefront glass windows, may also be classified as Outdoor Signage.
- Once you know the sizes you are limited to, the next step is to determine the TYPE of sign you are allowed outdoors, at your location.
- The type of outdoor signage allowed by the municipality is often decided in collaboration with property owners, well in advance.
- A structural Engineer’s stamp certifying the wind load capacity of an outdoor sign installation, may be required for your project.
- Getting final approval for the sign permit goes hand-in-hand with getting written permission from the landlord.
- Applying for a sign permit is easy. It just takes time to gather and provide all of the detailed information that’s required.
- The sign permit application can usually be accessed online. As you review the form, you’ll see the information required for permit approval.
- View the Do-It-Yourself Sign Permitting Guide for tips in getting your sign permit approved. Breaking the Sign Code:
- You can definitely save money by doing all of this upfront work yourself. Or you can hire a sign company to take care of the detail work for you.
Cover your assets, in writing.
When you search for terms in your lease like “Signage Criteria”, you’ll typically find detailed descriptions of the TYPE of signs allowed, and NOT ALLOWED.
The unfamiliar terms and types of signs described in a lease, can definitely.3 be confusing. You can call upon the landlord or leasing agent to provide additional information or clarification, as needed.
Or you can Email us a copy of the lease for interpretation and pricing information.
Permitting offices usually require a written letter from the landlord approving:
- The final design & colors.
- Size and overall dimensions.
- Placement of wall mounted signs, shown on building.
- Type of sign with specifications shown in a diagram.
- And finally, mounting details showing the hardware and installation method.
These services are readily available, on-demand, nationwide.Hide Content > Click Here to Close Tab
Shop for the Signs, 3D Letters & COVID-19 Banners Needed, for this National Emergency.Rush orders for Hospitals, Emergency Rooms, Government Agencies, Factories, Restaurants & other Organizations are NOW SHIPPING NATIONWIDE.
A home address can be used to receive deliveries by the Post Office or FedEx. Use retractable, popup banners and posters to communicate critically important information, including notices related to Covid-19, the new coronavirus.