Custom Metal Signs
- Display Your Message All Year Long with Weather-Resistant Metal Signs
- Express Yourself with Signs Cut in Custom Shapes and Featuring Any Design
- Impress Customers with Signs in Any Size
- Increase Visibility Using Reflective Signage
Find the perfect sign. The pricing calculator lets you swap materials, sizes, and other options and see instant changes in price.
Use Sign Magic to begin putting together your ideal sign. Check out the template gallery to personalize a design.
Got a design ready to go? Simply upload your image files and choose your sign!
Want to work one-on-one with a graphic designer? Set up a Live Design session with our art department.
Need to Attract Attention?
Get informative and sturdy signs in Aluminum, Alumalite, and Dibond.
We can custom cut metal signs into any shape and size. If you want a sign that looks like a pie 15 feet high, we can do it.
We can print anything you want on your sign. If you would like a life-size photo of yourself on a metal sign, we can do that too.
Recreating the style of vintage metal signs is a great way to showcase a modern brand in an unusual way. Evoke nostalgic feelings by decorating your home or office with retro style ad signs!
Promote yourself with professional business signs tailored to your needs.
Give an unforgettable personalized gift by customizing a sign with family photos and a sweet saying or a funny joke.
Feel free to contact us about any sign you're considering no matter how unusual. We love special requests!
Your options for Metal Signs:
- Aluminum: A solid metal sign material with a baked on enamel finish. Aluminum signs are extremely durable in high traffic, wet and heavy equipment areas. Available in three grades from standard .040" gauge for real estate yard signs to medium duty, .063" gauge to heavy duty, .080" thickness material.
- Alumalite: is a corrugated plastic sign material that is re-enforced on both sides with rigid aluminum sign panels. Alumalite is a little easier to handle and install than the thicker, heavier ARMOUR-Wood signs. It does not have quite as much panel strength as ARMOUR-Wood, but is still a highly durable product.
- Dibond: is a solid plastic sign that is re-enforced on both sides with rigid aluminum sign panels. Dibond is a lighter weight rigid sign panel ideally suited for wall mounted signs, smaller post mounted signs and hanging signs. Dibond is more rigid than regular aluminum signs, and is slightly less rigid than Alumalite. When you are looking for a product that is substantially stiffer than a standard gauge metal sign, Dibond is a solid choice.
- ARMOUR-Wood: is much stronger than traditional metal signs because it is reinforced with a wood shell and is the strongest of all the rigid sign panels.
Big or Small, We Do It All!
- While most sign companies are setting limits to what size your Metal Sign can be, we are printing Metal Signs in every size.
- Metal Signage comes in sizes up to 6' x 12' in a single, seamless sheet. The largest, rigid, seamless panel available in the market today.
- If you need a sign that is larger than that, no worries! Just let us know, and we'll make sure to get you any size Metal Sign you need.
- The most popular sizes available for custom Metal Signs are as follows:
- 10" x 12"
- 12" x 18"
- 18" x 24"
- 24" x 36"
- 36" x 72"
- 48" x 96"
- 48" x 120"
Available Design Options:
- PMS Color Match
- Brushed Silver Finish
- Brushed Gold Finish
- Mirror Finish
- Custom Hole Placement
- Custom Shapes
- Rounded Corners
- Dry Erase Laminate
- Reflective Colors
- Trim Cap
Sometimes, all you want is the bottom line!
- Our online Metal Sign pricing tool instantly calculates the exact prices on Metal Signs.
- At TheSignChef.com, shipping for Metal Signage and all other indoor and outdoor signs is free for orders within the continental US greater than $50 for ground and greater than $400 for freight.
- Orders outside the state of South Carolina are tax-free!
- We do offer quantity breaks at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2500 and 5000.
We offer more colors for Metal Signs than anyone out there on the web!
- You can now choose from ANY color under the sun when designing your new signage.
- You can even choose a reflective color.
- PMS Color Match available on most materials.
We custom cut more shapes for Metal Signs that any other sign company!
- TheSignChef.com will cut your Metal Signage to ANY custom shape.
- Pictured below are a few custom sign shapes, if you need an Metal Sign in a more unique shape, let us know.
Displaying Metal Signage is easy!
- We offer installation kits and accessories that will help you mount your new sign to wood, metal, stucco, brick masonry or concrete!
- We offer a large variety of scroll brackets for hanging your new custom sign.
- We can drill holes to the top of your sign to simplify the hanging process.
- Selection of screw caps are available for a finished polished look.
- Adhesive backing available on small and lighweight signage.
Wondering When and Where to Use Metal Signs?
Everywhere! Custom metal signs are strong, light-weight and among the most durable of all sign materials.
You'll find aluminum, alumalite, ARMOUR-wood, and dibond signs all over the place used in many ways. With digital printing it can be hard to tell if you are looking at a metal sign or not. Keep your eyes peeled!
Signs in use all around you:
- Real Estate
- New Business
- POP Displays
- Safety Signs
- Parking Lots
- Exterior Walls
- Street Signs
Is Metal the Right Material for You?
Use our material selection wizard to help you determine the right sign material for your needs.
Our most recent purchase from the Sign Chef was perfect, as always.
I don't think there's anything I would do differently.
The sign looks great.
We have absolutely NO complaints!
In fact, we liked our first sign so much that we ordered a second one!
Attached is a photo of our new sign on our door! Thanks!
I love my sign! It is exactly what I wanted and the colors are perfect!
I hope to encourage other businesses in my shopping district to replace their current signage with something similar.
An array of blade signs would enhance the character of Prosser's historic downtown.
Christmas was extra special this year for my grandmother.
I will spare you the long story, but the day she opened her personalized sign, the suprise - the emotions and the welling of the eyes, created a room of "awwwwes" then applauds then a little welling of a few others eyes!
I cannot thank you enough for a fine job from start to finish. I will and already have recommended your company to many of my friends AND family! ... thanks again for a life time memory!
Looking for inspiration?
We take pride in every sign, banner and product we ship out. If you are interested in seeing more finished signs check out our photo gallery.
No time for design?
Let our art department handle it for you. Give us a call, chat with us, or send an email and we'll get working on it. To see more design ideas visit the design showcase
Metal Signs Up Close
What Size Can My Metal Sign Be?
How Thick Should Your Metal Sign Be?
Have Another Question? Here are some of our Frequently Asked Questions
One of the most common sizes is 18” height x 24” width - particularly for real estate and construction site signs. We also stock sign frames which accommodate a 24” height x 18” width panel as well.
Keep in mind metal sheeting can be easily cut to any “odd” size to meet your individual needs. Odd size pricing just uses the next standard size up.
Other popular sizes include:
- 2’ height x 3’ width
- 3’ height x 2’ width
- 2’ height x 4’ width
The sizes above can also fit into a sturdy angle iron step stake for a convenient and portable display. If you are in an area which has high winds, you should strongly consider upgrading the thickness of the sign.
The thicker the metal, the less likely the sign panel will buckle or be ripped from the bolts which attach the sign panel to the sign frame. Increasing the thickness from a standard .040” to a medium duty .063” or extra heavy duty .080” gauge metal will enhance the durability of your custom signs. Generally, the larger size sign you want, the thicker the metal material needs to be.
For exterior custom metal signs, you can use .040" for sizes up to 18" x 24". Some people use this thinner .040" thickness all the way up in size to 2' x 3', but we don't recommend it. For sizes over 18" x 24", we recommend at least .063" thickness.
For larger hanging signs like 2' x 4', 3' x 3' or 3' x 4', .080" gauge metal works best.
For signs mounted to a building, you can use .040" gauge aluminum for signs up to 2' x 4' in size. Technically, you can use .040" gauge aluminum for sizes all the way up to 4' x 10' provided you mount the metal flat against the a wall with enough screws.
The larger the sign panel size though, the greater the tendency to bend. As a result, a large thin gauge metal sign can have a wavy or rippled appearance when installed, especially on a corrugated metal building.
When you want a bigger building sign, we recommend increasingly thicker gauges of aluminum with the optimum heavy duty thickness being .080" gauge aluminum. The next thickness down is .063" medium duty thickness. On smaller size signs (up to 2' x 4') even a modest increase to .063" gauge aluminum substantially increases the stiffness, appearance and rigidity of the metal sign panel.
When in doubt, it’s better to go too thick than too thin - the heaviest .080" gauge metal we stock is still less than 1/8" thick!
While you can install larger aluminum signs (for example, 6', 8' or 10' long aluminum signs) on or between posts, you have better options to choose from:
- (Sometimes called Aluma-Wood) is the strongest and most rigid exterior grade sign panel available with it’s dense, ½ inch thick solid wood core
- (½” thickness) has almost the same sign panel strength as ARMOUR-Wood making it a popular choice for larger signs. ½” Alumalite is the 2nd strongest sign material
- (¼” thickness) is still a strong, highly rigid sign background material and has the 3rd highest panel strength
- (Sometimes called Aluma-Plastic) sign panels have 10 times more strength than .040” aluminum sheets. Dibond is not quite as stiff as Alumalite, but is still considered a rigid sign material making it #4 in strength
On a scale of 1 to 10, with “10” having the highest relative strength, here’s how each metal background material ranks:
The metal material itself will usually outlast the artwork on your sign. Our uncoated Economy Grade Signs are rated for at least 3 years outdoors while our Premium Grade Signs coated with an optically clear, UV Protective Lamination are rated for a minimum of 5-8 Years outdoors. Metal signs can last for decades indoors.
Are you concerned that your sign may not turn out how you expected?
Since we are located in North Charleston, SC we may be hundreds of miles from you but with the benefits of technology we can send and receive proofs instantly.
Upon order approval, here’s how the process works:
- First, your order goes straight to the Art Department
- Our Graphic Designer will then e-mail you a proof
(a “proof” is a picture of what your sign will look like)
- Once you review the layout, let us know if you would like to see any changes, and …
- If you have any changes, we will e-mail you proofs as needed until you’re completely happy with your design.
Yes! Every metal sign order comes with a 100% Buyer Protection Guarantee
Sometimes, we make mistakes. We are only human after all. But it's how a business handles mistakes that counts, wouldn't you agree? So if we do happen to overlook something on your order, we will bend over backwards to make you happy. We stand behind our work with a 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee.
We will promptly replace any product that is defective in workmanship or that is different from what you approved. And for your trouble, you'll even get a very pleasant surprise gift.